Topographic maps are a detailed graphic representation of the earth’s surface features such as contours, waterways, roads, buildings, place names, points of interest, vegetation, selected administrative boundaries and more.
These maps are widely used across the community from bush walking and recreational purposes through to planning and development and are an essential tool for emergency services during disaster management and recovery.
Spatial Services provides open access to reliable accurate topographic maps via our online services.
Topographic GeoPDF Maps
The Georeferenced PDF Topographic Map Series is a series of auto-generated topographic maps of NSW in a layered GeoPDF format. These maps are generated from Spatial Service’s Foundation Spatial Data Framework (FSDF). The maps represent the state’s topographic features, including contours, streams, roads, buildings, place names, points of interest, vegetation, selected administrative boundaries and more. The GeoPDF Topographic Map Series have auto generated text placement and provides updated production dates GeoPDF Topographic Map Series is updated annually and is ideal for use in GPS systems, smart phones and tablets.
Spatial Services offers the Topographic GeoPDF Maps as a Free Download from the Spatial Collaboration Portal.
To download Topographic GeoPDF Maps:
- Access the Spatial Map Viewer on the Spatial Collaboration Portal
- Select the GeoPDF Download layer from the Layer List Widget
- Search for, then click on, an address or place
- Open the map preview by clicking the image
- Download and save PDF
Updated GeoPDF Topographic Map Releases
DCS Spatial Services have released an updated GeoPDF Topographic Map series, which are available from the Spatial Collaboration Portal. The entire series is available as a free individual map download as GeoPDF. Titles include the following –
- Map scales are typically 1:25,000 in the eastern region, 1:50,000 in the central region and 1:100,000 in the western region
- GeoPDF Topographic Maps can be printed on any paper size. DCS Spatial Services recommends printing the GeoPDF Maps to 1135mm x 580mm in size.
- Licensed under Creative Commons 4.0, customers are permitted to print their own hard copy of the Topographic GeoPDF Map. The latest release includes a Creative Commons licence and removal of the reference: “No part of this map may be reproduced without written permission”. This authorisation permits the share, copy and redistribution of the GeoPDF product. All users must always attribute Spatial Services as the creator of the material. Please refer to the following link for additional information: https://creativecommons.org.au/
- GDA2020 Compliance - The Geocentric Datum of Australia 2020 (GDA2020) is Australia’s new national datum which replaces GDA94 in the previous GeoPDF map. GDA2020 is of higher accuracy than GDA94, aligns more closely with GPS and GNSS positioning services and supports nationally consistent datasets. Differences between GDA9 and GDA2020 (approx.. 1.5 metres) are indistinguishable at the scale of these GeoPDF titles. Users should experience no change with their map usage based on the change of datum.
Future Topographic Maps
DCS Spatial Services are working on a new improved digital centric product to provide to the community Our team are currently collating user requirements and will be creating a new product that will carry us into the future. If you have any questions or would like to provide feedback on the current and future state of the Topographic Map Product, please contact the Service Delivery team.